Friday, August 27, 2010

Bruised But Loved


Auntie Tricia came to visit this week, and we all had such a lovely time.

As many of you know, we've had a rough couple of weeks. After our wonderful week of vacation, Brian was in a pretty rough biking accident where he suffered a significant concussion, a broken collarbone and countless bumps and bruises. The good news is he's going to be okay. (Hallelujah he was wearing his helmet.) The tough news is that he's in a sling (and unable to hold his beloved babes) for six to eight weeks.

But Brian is strong, and he's already healing beautifully. I see big improvements with each passing day. But it's been a doozy, and I find myself crashing each night with a level of fatigue I don't think I've ever felt before. But I'm also feeling a sense of purpose and focus I've never felt before. My partner - my best friend and love of my life - needs me. I'm there. My sensitive and precocious Stella needs me. I'm there. My ridiculously joyous Phoebe needs me. I'm there. And while I'm whooped beyond belief, I'm also humbled by the grace and generosity of friends and family. People have been leaving meals on our doorstep left and right. Phone calls and postcards have buoyed our spirits. And playmates have arrived just in time to help Stella feel a semblance of normalcy. We feel rich in love right now - cheesy but true - and we thank all of you for all your love and support.

And that brings me back to Trish. Auntie Tricia came to visit and we thoroughly enjoyed just hanging out and soaking up her wonderfully calm and loving energy. (You can't fight it, Tricia. You're a good egg, and I have so much to learn from you.)


While Brian rested, we took the girls to Larabee State Park. Stella swam amongst the crabs...


...while Auntie shaded and played with Phoebe. After one of the longest and hardest weeks of my adult life, it was such a gift to sit in front of the beautiful water and just be with someone who knows, supports and loves me.

Thank you, Tricia. You mean the world to me and my family. We love you!