Friday, February 5, 2010

Waiting for Junebug (aka Why I Fall In Love With Stella Every Day)

Yes, we're still waiting. Stella's sister isn't due for another week, but the three of us are more than eager to meet her. Stella asks to hug her sister all the time, is convinced she'll be born "at night, on Tuesday" and believes she will emerge from Mama's Adam's Apple. (Oh, little one, how I wish it were that simple.)

So, as we await Junebug's arrival, we've been thoroughly enjoying the unseasonably warm and dry weather up here in the northwest. It's been delightful, and Stella and I have been spending our days walking around town and playing in our garden. And as I reflect on the last days of my Mama-of-one life, I am reminded of why we're jumping off the parenting cliff again and, more importantly, why I fall in love with my wee Scout every day.


She thinks "clouds taste like almond butter" and she's excited that "my friends live on earth!"


She spent a half hour today studying and talking about this fallen nest in our yard. She so readily sees and imagines the worlds of animals.

She's a dedicated and focused worm hunter...


... and knows to "nudge the worms, Mama; don't poke them."


She could spend hours cutting, gluing, coloring and painting and recently asked to write a story for a sick friend "to give her comfort." And she's started writing letters with an enthusiasm that would prompt Woody Allen to rethink cynicism.


She requested a cake "white like snow" for her half birthday dinner.

And, of course, she's the most beautiful creature I've ever seen.

Life is about to change, Stella, but we are still so in love with you, our star girl.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely post! It's refreshing to take time to remember just how amazing and original our children are.

emma said...

Been thinking about you Katherine!
Good luck with the delivery.
xo