Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Number Two is So Lucky

While awaiting Phoebe's birth, I remember feeling so worried about Stella's well-being and whether or not she would continue to feel the endless love we feel for her. And I remember also worrying that I would never be able to give to my second babe in the same way I gave to Stella in her first year.

Nearly a year into a family of four, I now realize that while my worrying may have served some logical purpose, it was pretty unnecessary. Stella is just fine and has adjusted to life as a big sister beautifully. And watching her give love so freely and genuinely leads me to believe we're still succeeding in setting that all important example of love at home. And Phoebe? Well, she's a hoot and seems to be coping as numero dos with great style and ease. She's always entertained by either Mama, Papa or Stella. She's pretty much the happiest baby I've ever encountered and is told so everywhere we go. And to be totally honest, I now think it's a gift that I'm not as solely focused on her like I was with Stella. There's a beauty and grace to letting go when you have more than one child. Don't get me wrong, I'm still spending countless hours on my hands and knees playing, rocking and loving. Safety systems are in check, and I still try my darnedest everyday to make sure she feels loved and cherished. But I'm also more willing to simply watch and observe, letting both girls do their thing. And if Phoebe's clothes are a bit more mismatched and messy than Stella's ever were, thank goodness. We've found that a happy baby is still happy whether their parents remember to use a bib or not.

Hot Tip: Forgotten a bib? Just adjust babe's onesie after messy meal and let her run.

1 comment:

Alex said...

What a reflection, well said Mama.